The big news yesterday was that they found radiation in Tokyo's water supply above the recommended limit for infants. We live in the outskirts of Tokyo that has a different water supply from downtown. As adults we are presumably not in danger at the current levels even if we lived closer to the center of the city.
This is little comfort since we personally know many precious young children, pregnant women, and nursing mothers in the affected areas. Already the radiation levels have dropped, but as an extra precaution they are encouraging using only bottled water for infants. The stores shelves where bottled water used to be, are bare. The city is distributing water directly to families with infants.
As each new difficult development comes, I've realized anew how the only sure thing is God's character. I'm seeking to focus on Him–the unchanging One–in the midst of the unpredictable.
Today I've been thinking about God's mercy. The 9.0 quake did horrible damage, but if the epicenter had been farther southwest, it could have been even worse. In our suburb the water has been fine even when radiation was found in other places. We've escaped all the power outages characteristic of other suburbs. I was able to buy one liter of milk today. Our trains are even working again. Maybe God is sparing us because CRASH's command center is right here in our neighborhood and He wants this ministry to be able to carry on in the relief effort. I don't know why He has spared us so much, but I do know He is merciful.
Tonight I am appealing to God's mercy and asking Him to bring warmer weather. It's supposed to be in the 40's (Fahrenheit) tomorrow. That's difficult for the many Tokyoites who have no power for several hours each day, but even more brutal for the homeless in Tohoko cramped in cold shelters. Usually by this time the cherry blossom trees are beginning to bud. Spring feels late this year. Lord, please let the mercury rise, but keep the radiation down.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment