As I walked to the grocery store today the sun shone brightly and the fragrance of daphne plants added a spring to my step. I was asked to help cook Mabodofu for the relief volunteers tomorrow so I headed into "Marufuji" with three things on my list (tofu, hamburger, and seasoning). I came out with the very three things I hoped for.
Yesterday I had a different experience. The store that usually is so bright and cheery looked like a third world grocery. Everything looked drab inside with minimal lighting (we're all conserving energy) and many shelves were bare. By today I was already used to the new look and they are restocking some supplies.
I read a message from the Tokyo electric company. Apparently everyone is doing such a good job of conserving energy that many planned blackouts have been canceled. They even encouraged us to protect our health and not be too stingy with our heaters. Since Russ is paralyzed in half his body, it is difficult for him to have the house cold. That encouragement to use our heat was very welcome.
I am well aware that farther north things are much more difficult. I can only report with authority on what I see firsthand. I do have it from a reliable source that supplies are beginning to get through to those in need.
We keep praying about the nuclear power plant. We are concerned for the workers there and those who live nearby. We are well out of the 50-mile radius ourselves, but millions are not.
Tonight we have a couple coming for supper that are temporarily living near us. They were not comfortable in their own apartment. We pray that we will minister to them as we get acquainted and welcome them to our home of peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment