Sunday, April 10, 2011

Many Parts; One Body



Romans 12:4&5 Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body,and each member belongs to all the others.

Many Parts; One Body is our school theme this year. Mr. Potato Head toys are given out at staff meetings to recognize the unique gifts people contribute to the school body.

The theme is appropriate anytime, but I'm especially thankful this is our focus this year. Why? Because the magnitude of the needs in Japan right now are so unending, that everyday I feel torn. My part in the recovery effort feels so insignificant.

A trip to our grocery store ends up being an emotional experience for me. My eyes gaze at the vast array of vegetables and tears well up. My friends on the coast who used to grow the vegetables my family ate every summer, now are only getting rice balls. They can live on that, but their health will be affected.

I cannot mother every orphan, clean out every muck-filled home, feed every hungry person, or build a house for every homeless person. But each time I buy groceries I can buy extra to donate to the relief effort. We can continue to house volunteers. We can comfort the hurting. We can give money to CRASH. I loved it that I was able to buy fresh fruit and vegetables and send it with a friend going up north.

Right now the house smells like chocolate chip cookies. A friend in the US sent us a care package with cookie ingredients so I'm making them to give to our Japanese neighbors tomorrow on the one-month anniversary of the earthquake. I want them to know that you care.

I'm only one part of the body. I think God can take my teeny contributions and make them useful in His kingdom, but sometimes I forget. My Mr. Potato Head is a good reminder. Thanks for praying for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment