Sunday was one of those I'm-so-thankful-I'm-a-missionary kind of days. Russ wasn't feeling up to going to church so I went alone to worship at Yahara Christ Church. There's a lot of walking involved in getting there so it works out best for me to go alone. We usually attend Musashino Chapel Center so I hadn't been to Yahara for many months.
This church was begun by TEAM missionaries about six or seven years ago. Shortly after they rented a meeting place and were just getting going, the husband suddenly had to go to the US for cancer surgery. The key lay couple was transferred to South Africa. Russ and I were asked to help out at the church for a year in their absence. Russ and I both had other full-time ministries so we just did what we could to keep the church alive until the missionary family returned. God sent us many people to help out during that year and encouraging things happened. It survived babyhood by God's grace. The missionaries returned and led the church through the toddler stage and into kindergarten.
Between that time and now the church has gone from renting one tiny room to two, the founding missionaries returned permanently to homeland ministries, and a Japanese pastor was called. The church is still small–13 people. But those 13 are full of faith.
The property next door to them opened up for sale and they all voted to buy it! These are not wealthy people, but they are believers who are putting their treasure in things that count for eternity. I was so blessed last Sunday to visit these dear people, look at the property with new eyes, and view the blueprints. Who would have ever thought that the property right there where the church already has a presence in the community would open up! That was the first of many miracles.
Banks are not giving out loans these days so they were denied a loan as expected. However, God raised up numerous believers to loan money personally to the church. Sunday the pastor was encouraged because that morning the closest neighbors to the church building told him they were happy the church was buying the property. The wife says she enjoys hearing the singing at the church. This is Tokyo were buildings are row-house style. Neighbors are unbelievably close and to have this kind of warm reception for a church is most unusual.
We are full of praise for all God is doing. Yahara Christ Church still needs lots of money, but they are moving forward in faith that God will provide. We're encouraged!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment