Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Not-So-Popular Subject of Sin

Russ and I have been studying the book of Romans using Dr. Wesley Gerig's book entitled, "An Outline Study of Romans." Way back in the early 1970s when I took a class on the book of Romans at Fort Wayne Bible College, I answered the questions Dr. Wes has now put at the back of his recently-published book. It has been very interesting to go through the questions with Russ. Since his stroke, Russ has trouble spelling words and doing math calculations that used to be easy for him, but his spiritual sensitivity and insights continue to be a blessing to me.

Recently we were reading Dr. Wes' comments on Romans 6:11 regarding what it means to reckon ourselves dead to sin and alive to Christ. I love the way Dr. Wes summed it up on page 82.

Step #1 Never excuse sin.
Step #2 Never expect sin.
Step #3 Never excite sin. (As someone has said, "What makes resisting temptation difficult for many people is that they do not want to discourage it completely.")

There's plenty to think about there.

Flossie

No comments:

Post a Comment