Today is Valentine's Day. I feel exceedingly privileged to be married to Russ. He is a godly man who manages his disabilities with grace. It's been almost four years since his massive stroke and I have yet to hear him complain about his limitations. He cries easily, but it's always because he is touched–seeing a child smile, hearing how God has worked–things that bring joy to himself or pain to others. God has shielded him from self pity and Russ daily chooses to see life from an eternal perspective. He is amazing. I thank God for allowing me to be his wife.
What's life like for us these days? Russ is still able to get around inside our house using a cane though he usually sits in his wheelchair due to limited strength. He is able to do many things for himself. They just take a long time. He can dress himself in about half an hour now. He spends time praying, working on Japanese (he never gives up!), and interacting with the many people who come to our home for encouragement. Three days a week he goes to an adult care center for therapy and a bath.
Russ made remarkable progress after his stroke so that we were able to go to the US to see family in the summer of 2007. Since then his strength has been declining. Russ doesn't get out much other than going to the care center while I work at CAJ. He has enough strength to go to church once or twice a month and now and then we go out to eat. In August each year we go to Karuizawa for our mission's annual conference where thankfully they have a barrier-free room. The 2 1/2 hour trip is grueling for him.
We are learning what it means to see God work in our weakness. I've been amazed at how God has used Russ to minister to more people now than before his stroke. Just last week several Japanese told me how much Russ has encouraged them and thanked us for staying in Japan.
Personally God is giving me strength day by day. I'm thankful for my godly husband, the wonderful people I work with at Christian Academy, the people who assist us, and most of all for God Himself. It's not an easy life, but it's good because God is good.
Flossie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment