Saturday, January 23, 2010

2010 Year Verse

As I thought about a verse to meditate on throughout this year, Romans 5:3 & 4 kept coming to mind.

NIV "...we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."

I don't choose a verse every year, but have the last few years. I really liked my verse last year (Romans 15:13) which focused on God filling me with all joy and peace and overflowing in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. That's a real feel-good verse. When I first was drawn to this year's verse I thought, "Oh, no. I've had enough suffering. I'd prefer a happy verse." But...I kept coming back to this verse.

I'm beginning to get it. God wants me to live life from an eternal perspective. We've definitely had (and have!) our challenges, but knowing what I know now, I'd still choose this life over one without the character building and hope. God has been so faithful to us! I hesitate to even say our lives are filled with suffering. All it takes is one look at the news of the suffering in Haiti from the earthquakes to know our lives are cushy.

Maybe this year will bring more suffering. If it does, God will be with us. If things get easier for us, maybe I just need to get this verse down pat to help me deal with present difficulties.

And, oh joy, the verse ends with the word, "hope." God's hope never disappoints us.

No comments:

Post a Comment