Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Embracing Change


I like my routines. A fresh cup of tea with my hearty breakfast daily. Using Saturdays to get things prepared for the week ahead (Russ' medicines distributed, menus planned, groceries purchased, bank statements settled, and bread and yogurt made). And one of my all-time favorites...reading before I go to bed at night so that I'm learning, being entertained, and making it easier to sleep all in one. (Except when I was reading that book on organization. That totally kept me from sleeping as all those great ideas bounced through my brain.)

Sarah Young in Jesus Calling (Feb. 17 reading) says that, "It is easy to make an idol of routine, finding security within the boundaries you build around your life...When you cling to old ways and sameness, you resist My [God's] work within you."

Is. 43:19 reminds us that God is doing a new thing! 2 Corinthians 5:17 reminds me that He's making me into a new creation. Here in Tokyo we're making changes in the office where I serve supporting homeschoolers. There may be some loneliness with our staffing reduced to help balance our budget, but I'm excited that when God directs, He equips. Ideas for improving our services are flowing easily. I really think we will support missionaries in outlying areas of Japan better because we're willing to give up some comfortable routines in exchange for new ways of doing things.

Routine and sameness aren't intrinsically bad. I just need to hold everything in an open hand. You too? Is there something you love you need to unlock your grasp on and offer it to Jesus for a makeover?

No comments:

Post a Comment