Sunday, November 13, 2011

Paying Attention

How I thank Jesus who is worthy of all power, wealth, wisdom, strength, honor, glory and praise (Rev. 5:12) for the overflowing basket of blessings He is offering us. We feel no lack of goodness. These days are filled with joy! How can that be with Russ in the hospital awaiting cancer surgery and me trying to juggle so many responsibilities and making the tiring trek downtown each day to see Russ? It comes down to just paying attention. God is continually sending me love notes. I just need to read them.




Russ and I were concerned about him losing mobility during his hospital stay which to us seems incredibly long (2 1/2 weeks to just remove some ear and replace it with a skin graft.) We asked several times about some ongoing mobility therapy in the hospital, but it isn't working out. However, the therapist who regularly comes to our house gave me some helpful tips before Russ entered the hospital. I wrote down the exercises and took pictures so that each day I've been able to work with Russ and he's doing well. He is in good spirits and seems very healthy.

Admission day was a long day! We left at 6:50 in the morning and I got home at around 7:30 that night. I was amazed at how much there was to do. Before going to the hospital I pictured myself sitting around and reading, but it didn't work out that way at all. I was busy getting Russ settled, interpreting for the amazing number of medical personnel connected to his case, and helping him practice getting in and out of a bed that isn't ideal for his paralysis. But it works! He fits diagonally and we're both getting better at tackling situations that aren't ideal.

Russ is in the middle of a room for six so his curtained off area is about six feet by five feet. Our daughter went to Hong Kong on a school trip in 2003. They visited a man whose only living space was that size. Russ' is only temporary. And besides that Russ has a great view of Shinjuku from the dining area window.

A friend came to the hospital and went out with me for supper. Fun! Driving home I was pretty tired and had this craving for a piece of Japanese cake (the fancy bakery kind). I considered stopping somewhere but decided that was not a good idea. I did not NEED cake. I just needed to get home. I kept going back and forth in my mind, but the pull of wanting to get home was stronger than my desire for cake. It just surprised me because I'm accustomed to chocolate cravings, not cake cravings. I could not believe it when I pulled into my driveway and there was Yuki with a little cake box for me saying, "You must be very tired after such a long day."

The next day was 11/11/11. Koreans eat Pocky sticks (similar to chocolate covered pretzels) because they look like the number one. I'm all for adopting delicious customs from neighboring countries! As I was leaving school to go to the hospital I thought, "It would be fun to have Pocky sticks to commemorate this day." Just before I went out the door, in rushed my Korean coworker handing me a box of Pocky sticks!

I just love the way Japanese put beauty in the mundane. They have the most fascinating patterns in manholes, guard rails, and sidewalks. I smiled when I saw pictures of cosmos lining the utilitarian temporary encasement for a construction project.

No comments:

Post a Comment