Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Our Hearts are Full of Thanksgiving

Russ was hospitalized for two weeks. I visited him every day. This post could go on and on sharing blessings. I'll control myself and only share a dozen.  I'm thankful for...

• Russ' successful surgery. The cancer is gone! The skin graft on his ear is healing well.

• Russ' surprise early release on Thanksgiving Day. Going from hospital food to Thanksgiving dinner was an unprecedented culinary leap!

• Russ made many friends in the hospital and was able to leave Christian literature with several.

• Russ did not lose ground in his mobility during his hospital stay. We actually had extra time for walking and speech practice.

• Russ' mother is recovering well from her fall and subsequent surgery to replace the ball in her hip. (Proverbs 25:25 Good news from far away is like cold water to the thirsty.)

• I was able to easily get my 10,000 steps a day of walking in because of the commute to the hospital. In fact, 408 of those were stair steps. I'm feeling fit.

• I was able to listen to two inspiring audio books as I commuted (Crazy Love by Francis Chan and The Heavenly Man by Brother Yun).

• It was easy to spend time with God because I was alone so much. My Father and I had rich fellowship.

• I was able to get my work done in the office without stress. (Our house suffered since I only seemed to be home long enough to make a mess and not to clean it up...but, it's coming along.)

• So many people visited Russ that the staff wondered who he was! I thoroughly appreciated all the friends that went out to supper with me on my way home.

• Miraculously I never got exhausted even though commuting on Tokyo trains is an inherently tiring activity. Three and a half million people travel through Shinjuku each day. It's the busiest train station in the world. One day I was meditating on Mt. 11:28-30 and thought, "This is amazing. I'm happy to go to Jesus, but I really don't fell weary and burdened." What a God thing!

• I never got tired of the fascinating architecture downtown. I found several ways to get from Shinjuku train station to the hospital. I chose a few skyscrapers as landmarks and took off finding all kinds of cool artistic nooks and crannies.

No comments:

Post a Comment