Sunday, September 5, 2010

Connections

A big part of the ministry God has given me is connecting people with resources. As an educational consultant I have an office full of books and a head full of information gleaned from reading and thousands of encounters with people over the years. When a mom looking for curriculum describes her family personality to me, my mind automatically jumps to programs that seem like a good fit. But sometimes challenges come up with no apparent connection. It's not like I can handle some things and God does the hard stuff, but it has been cool to see God work in special ways recently.

Last week I talked to a missionary family needing a certain series of books to begin homeschooling. Ordering them from the US would cost more than they could afford. An hour after discussing the need I looked through a box of donated books. There was the exact set in perfect condition.

Then Tuesday a friend came in asking if anyone needed a tutor. She had time and experience and needed some extra income. We didn't know of anyone, but encouraged her to post a sign on the community bulletin board. The very next day a Japanese mother came to our office with her daughter. The family lives in LA and came to Japan for summer vacation. A surprise medical condition necessitates extending their time in Japan. The mom was concerned that her daughter be able to keep up with her English so she'll fit back into school when they return to the US. I called the potential tutor and in ten minutes they were all talking and making arrangements. It seems to be a perfect fit.

A few months ago we had a Ukrainian fencing coach visit our church. He is starting a Bible study in Russian in downtown Tokyo and looking for Russian speakers (few and far between!) to join the group. A month later another man from Ukraine visited our church. I wanted to get the two men together, but each man only visited our church once. Today the coach returned to our church, this time with his whole family. I got contact information from him just in case I ever ran into the second man again. Wouldn't you know it, I turned around and there he was. It was exciting to see God get these two men together. If you've ever been in a country away from your homeland where no one else speaks your native tongue, you understand the significance of this connection.

God cares about connecting books, tutors, and Bible study partners. Go God!

No comments:

Post a Comment