Thursday, December 31, 2009

Urbana09

Have you ever wanted to be at two places at one time? Of course you have. We all have. Tonight I am delighted to be here in Japan with my husband. Simultaneously I would also love to be with my daughter at that huge missions conference called Urbana09. I was just at the website (http://www.urbana09.org/tracks.major.global_issues.cfm) and read her name as a presenter of the seminar called "Sign Language Bible Translation." How I would love to be sitting in that room watching her sign what's on her heart.

As I reflected on Urbana09 I thought, "What could be more thrilling than being in a crowd of 16,000 people talking about missions?" The answer to my question came very quickly..."Actually doing it."

This December has been rich in things that matter. Y. has been doing Bible studies with me now for several years. She shared with her mother what she learned and her mother accepted Christ. A few weeks ago Y.'s mother was praying that her husband would be interested in attending church. The next morning at breakfast he announced he would like to go to church with her. He hasn't been to church in 50 years!

Another friend came for dinner last night. Her husband died just over a year ago leaving her to raise her two kids alone. She embroidered a beautiful cloth for us with the word "Emmanuel" in gold thread saying, "God has been with us."

Tuesday as Russ was having his therapy, I was chatting with his therapist. Mr. E. mentioned how loving Russ is to me. I said it was because Russ loves me according to the Bible's definition of love found in I Corinthians 13:4-7. I happened to be sitting next to a Japanese Bible so read the verses to him. He was so touched that he gladly accepted our gift of a New Testament and went home saying he wanted to memorize those verses as Russ had.

We are enjoying listening to the main sessions of Urbana09 on the internet. The theme is about Jesus coming to earth to live as a man and the opportunities we have to move into communities and live out Christ before those around us. Russ and I are such ordinary people, yet God has asked us to come to Japan and then He asked us to stay even when circumstances seemed less than ideal. We'll never be a Hudson Taylor or a Gladys Aylward. But we can be who we are. I'm looking forward to what God will do in 2010!

Flossie
www.urbana09.org

No comments:

Post a Comment