Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Taste of Quiet

For the last two months our household has been a buzz of activity. Now we're experiencing a taste of quiet. Saturday Rachel went back home to Oregon after seven weeks with us. Monday my father returned to Indiana. This coming Thursday Christie plans to fly to Colorado. Right now Christie is getting in a quick visit to Karuizawa, her birthplace, just before leaving Japan. That leaves just Russ and me here at home tonight.

It's not totally quiet. Russ is typing on the other computer one key at a time with plenty of breathing time between pecks. His persistence amazes me. I so admire that guy.

This taste of quiet...I can't say it's my favorite flavor of life, but it's a good one. Russ and I will miss Rachel's and Dad's happy chatter and Christie's flying fingers. On the other hand, we are grateful that we live in a day that we can still communicate easily with loved ones many miles away.

As we prepare for Thanksgiving, it's easy to think of many ways we've been blessed. I've known fatigue, discouragement, and other disagreeable states the last few weeks, but God has been faithful and my joy has returned. With the sad thought of Christie leaving soon, I'm depending on God to help my mother's heart let her go and simultaneously keep her close in my heart.

God is good.
Flossie

No comments:

Post a Comment