Monday, November 23, 2009

Better than just saying "no"

During fall break I took aside a day (when Russ was at the care center) to be alone with God and review my life. It had gotten out of control with busyness being the great robber of spiritual vitality. One of the things I determined was that I should not accept more than one extra speaking engagement per month. Today I was asked to give the opening prayer in Japanese at our school outreach Christmas concert.

Part of me thought that one little prayer hardly constituted a speaking engagement, but it would require attending the concert twice–not something I planned to do. I could have easily have said, "Yes," but didn't. Yesterday I was reading from "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World." (I have been greatly helped by that study!) The author says that just because we are able to do something doesn't constitute a call from God to do it. When we decline a request she suggested praying for the person God has chosen for that task. So that's what I've done. I've prayed that God would lead the planners to just the person God has in mind to give the opening prayer and that it will be a great blessing to all who listen, including God Himself.

I didn't just say "no" (though that in itself would have been a victory for someone like me who is so prone to over-extending myself.) I was reminded to pray for a specific part of this outreach, the opening prayer.

As we enter that time of year where almost everyone gets over-extended, I hope you'll find your prayer life enriched even when you have to say, "No."

Flossie

No comments:

Post a Comment