Sunday, October 12, 2014
What's for Supper, God?
Yesterday I was unsettled in my spirit. I’ve been having skin problems and psoriatic arthritis that I am trying to treat with eating the right foods. I know there is a food connection, but I’m having a difficult time figuring out the fine details. I have become obsessed with food. I've spent hours pouring over recipes and articles. It is so hard to know how to cook because there's an extensive list of foods to avoid and I'm not positive of what’s good for my body and what doesn't work for me. I’ve done a lot of research, but not everyone agrees and of course we are each made uniquely so what works for one person doesn't work for another. As I was driving home from the grocery store the Holy Spirit spoke to me. He pointed out that I’ve been spending way more time worrying about what to eat than spending time with Him even though my times of communing with God recently have been especially rich. This realization was a wake up call.
I came home, put away the groceries and went straight to my Bible. I read the part in the Lord’s Prayer that asks God to give us our daily bread. I have always thought of that as praying for God to tangibly provide for our needs. Today when I read the phrase, I realized I could trust God for ideas, to tell me what to fix each day. My organized nature wanted a whole week’s worth of menus, but God asked me to be content with Him telling me what to cook for my next meal. I instantly had an idea of how to modify a recipe I really enjoy. I only had one idea, not a lot of ideas. I decided to thank the Lord for that idea for supper and as much as possible not to think about food anymore that day trusting God to give me another idea the next day. (He did! Menu ideas yesterday and today came to mind without stress or searching and the food was delicious too.)
I have a Bible study I'm working through that pointed me to Psalm 73. As I read it, I was comforted to know that God will hold my hand (v.23) and give me guidance (v.24). v.25 says the earth has nothing I desire besides God. I’ve been obsessively desiring menu plans for the week and God wants me to desire Him and let Him help me with meal planning. I’m ready to take refuge in God! (v.28)
Psalm 73: 21-28 New Living Translation
21 Then I realized that my heart was bitter,
and I was all torn up inside.
22 I was so foolish and ignorant—
I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you.
23 Yet I still belong to you;
you hold my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
leading me to a glorious destiny.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
I desire you more than anything on earth.
26 My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak,
but God remains the strength of my heart;
he is mine forever.
27 Those who desert him will perish,
for you destroy those who abandon you.
28 But as for me, how good it is to be near God!
I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter,
and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do.
It's quite likely you aren't obsessing about menu plans, but maybe there's something else that keeps you from desiring Him more than anything. Let's join the author of the psalm, Asaph, in choosing to make God our deepest desire.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment