Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why I Love Higashi Kurume

I really love this suburb of Tokyo. We're only a train ride away from downtown, should I ever want to go there, but far enough out that we enjoy that hometown feel. The transportation system is great and the pollution levels are reasonable. At this time our radiation levels are well within the range of healthy. Two rivers run through the city flanked by walking trails and greenery. I can walk to a grocery store, the post office, the school where I work, and even to various doctors.

But the best part about Higashi Kurume is the people. Of course we have our missionary coworkers and school families, but it goes beyond that. The workers at the city office go out of their way to be helpful. The local merchants are great.

The other day I went to get my hair cut at the shop where I've been a regular customer for 23 years. They still charge me the same price they did when I began going there even though the posted placard has a higher price. The shop is run by a mother (now in her 70s and still doing hair!) and her daughter. The daughter and I are the same age and each have two kids (a boy and a girl) about the same ages.

When I entered the shop they already had one customer but they drew her right into the conversation because they were so eager to see our son's wedding pictures. They lined the pictures up against the mirrors and stared a hole in them. They were so excited and commented on how much he had grown.

I asked them how they got along in the summer heat with reduced electricity. They said they were fine but there were seven ambulances that passed by their shop on one particularly hot day. Elderly people would resist turning on the air conditioning and then pass out.

By the time my locks were chopped (she really gives me my money's worth!), there were no other customers. My hair dresser immediately brought out a cold drink to encourage further chatting. After getting all caught up on our summers, she sent me out the door with some fresh vegetables.

Yes, I love living in Higashi Kurume.

No comments:

Post a Comment